- KS Lessons Full List – Chronological – Stonemaier Games
A list of lessons in running a kickstarter (or similar project). One to come back to.
- Recursive Recipes | Make food from scratch
This is brilliant. Pick a recipe, then crank the time limit up. Make an Apple pie: Step 1: grow the apples…
- IBM’s machine argues, pretty convincingly, with humans – BBC News
This is quite astounding. Digging into a bit further, it's still not human-level debating or decision making, but give them another decade and it really will be time to welcome our robot overlords. The difficult bit is, of course, training them on a near-objective data set, rather than giving them built in biases.
- Laravel Translation via Google Spreadsheet – SkyshiDigital – Medium
An interesting way to set up translations within Laravel – make it easy to give non-techical users access to edit a site's translations.
Device/security management system that's got a free tier that might actually be worth install in my own devices to give me a central place to manage them and keep an eye out for security issues.
- Laravel API Documentation Generator
Might be useful at work. Or for myself another time.
- 20 Laravel Eloquent Tips and Tricks – Laravel News
I knew about half of these, and want to remember the others for later.
- 188.8.131.52 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver
This is really nice, and from a company with a pretty good track record. I'll be setting it up at home myself later, and I encourage others to do the same.
- PolaPi-Zero | Hackaday.io
I would like to go a few steps past this project, but in order to do that, I need to build this project.
- How to Rands – Rands in Repose
This really isn't a bad guide to basic tech management – making sure your team know what the score is regarding their line manager, and what he's about.
- Coraline Ada Ehmke — Not Applicable: What Your Job Post Is Really Saying
This is nice thinking about how one come up with a job description in tech, and a good write up on how to improve that process.
- Black Triangles
I have wanted a term for this for such a long time. So much of what I do is basically Black Triangles – a lot of behind the scenes work in order to start building the other things that have a more obvious impact, but trying to explain this to non technical staff is murder. If I can send this around in future, that might help.
- Everything Easy is Hard Again – Frank Chimero
A description of what it feels like to build web software, after 20 years building it. There was a point, a few years back where I thought I'd achieved, well, definitely not mastery, but at least a certain level of expertise. These days, I feel like I'm constantly running to keep up, and just getting further and further behind. And there's really no reason this should be the case.
- Oxford Comma Dispute Is Settled as Maine Drivers Get $5 Million – The New York Times
If ever you wonder if the Oxford comma really matters, then the answer is yes, sometimes it matters very very much.
- Richard Sapper’s dark, alternate universe of tech design – Curbed
Interesting thought experiment: what if Sapper, not Ive, had become the design superstar of the IT industry?
Convenient guide to make sure I think about a work problem the right way.