- Homestead Fifty Six | Joe Ferguson
The horrible fear that I'm going to need this in the long term for work.
- Timeline – Time to Play Fair
Despite my fondness for Apple products, I am willing to be critical of Apple when they're being arseholes. They're being massive arseholes, here, to the detriment of their own users. I would very much welcome an option for iOS developers to implement their own payment systems in apps, if they did not wish to give apple a cut, and I hope the EU finds in Spotify's favour.
- Install, configure, verify memcached on CentOS | Magento 2 Developer Documentation
I've never worked much with CentOS, but I need to do this in the next week or two.
- Daring Fireball: Life as a Facebook Moderator
The article he's linking to has been doing the rounds, but it's Mr Gruber's critique I found especially resonant, particular this quote: "There is something fundamentally wrong with a platform that – while operating exactly as designed – requires thousands of employees to crush their own souls." I use Facebook these days, but I still think that broadly, we'd all actually be better off if it was simply shut down. I don't think it provides any net benefit that we did not manage better with other tools before it existed.
- Laravel Shift – the automated way to upgrade Laravel applications
I'm going to try this out later.
- Fingerprint.js – The most advanced open-source fraud prevention JS library
Mostly a note to self for the future. Might need this for a bunch of stuff.
- Help! None of my projects want to be SPAs | Jason Goldstein
This rings very true. 99% of the project I work on are CUD operation stuff, with limited visual updating. My major use for Vue (which I picked up instead of React) is to simplify my JS form handling a bit, and manage the ajax elements, not really anything clever.
- New AI fake text generator may be too dangerous to release, say creators | Technology | The Guardian
If I were a professional fiction writer, I'd be scared right now. This tells me that automating the job of producing fiction just got a generation closer. (I mean, I guess, counterpoint – write an outline, get a novel.)
- 11 Awesome Laravel Helper Functions (that aren’t in Laravel)
Yes, these are lovely.
- TablePlus | Modern, Native Tool for Database Management
This looks like quite a nice multi-engine database tool for Mac. Might be tempted to migrate to it.
- Project Alias Smart Home ‘Parasite’ Is the Anti-Alexa – Geek.com
This looks interesting. Wonder if I can build one, and wonder if it really works?
- Largest dump in history: 2.7 billion records; 773 million of them unique; 140 million never seen before / Boing Boing
It's time to check and update your passwords again. Relevant useful links contained in post, but also my traditional reminder: use a password manager on all your devices. Do not, do not, do not, *ever* log in to any website with a password it is remotely practical for you to type by hand.
Library of PHP tools for working with different geocoding providers.
- Switching the default PHP version on CLI on Homestead
It took me too long to find this, and I know I'm going to need it again.