Tagged by mightygodking, 7 songs I am digging right now, in no particular order:
1) Leonard Cohen – Hallelujah (oringial version). Talking about it on tyrell‘s LJ today reminded me just how much I love the original. I like the secularised version that you generally hear as well, but there’s something magic in the lines “There’s a blaze of light / In every word / It doesn’t matter which you heard / The holy or the broken Hallelujah”. “There’s a blaze of light in every word”. Fuck, I love that.
2) Flogging Molly – May The Living Be Dead (In Our Wake). “And the ghosts of our souls thanking Christ we’re alive.” Screamed out to that foot-stomping beat, it’s a fantastic affirmation of love and joy. Again, from tyrell‘s discussion of love songs earlier in the day.
3) The Go! Team – Ladyflash. Brilliant pop, electric and spiky made entirely from jangly sounds and bubblegum.
4) Carter USM – Let’s Get Tattoos. It’s bloody good, daft, fun. It’s straightfoward teenage take-on-the-world shouty music.
5) Firewater – Dark Days Indeed. “We walk but once among the living/so no regrets and no forgiving”. Rules to live by. It’s also a bloody good “cheer you up” tune, all footstomping percussion and carnival sounds.
6) Johnny Boy – You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve. I can never decide if I wish they’d put an album out, or just leave me with this one, perfect, pop song.
7) Menlo Park – Big Black Smoke. I just love this. It’s hard to articulate, it’s just sleazy and loud and fucking aces.