- All (hopefully) of the bad arguments about rape on Game of Thrones debunked
I don't agree with this article about the rape scene in last week's game of Thrones. I think it was another mis-step from a show with a less-than-stellar track record. I think that, given the departure from what I understand the storyline in the books is, there were alternatives open to them, that they perhaps should have explored. But that said: there are some solid arguments in here, that at least make the case that there *is* another point of view, that says there was a case for having tha…
- Cheeky Nando’s, or, what went wrong? | Idiot Joy Showland
Just read it. Read it, and understand the reality of Nandos. The reality of England in the 21st Century.
- Redrawing Taylor Swift – Shake it Off Rotoscoped – YouTube
49 University of Newcastle Australia animation students were each given 52 frames of Taylor Swift's Shake it Off music video to rotoscope in their own style, and the resulting works were stitched back together to make this. The original video is a lot of fun, but there's moment of absolute magic in this.
- The 300 Best Albums of the Past 30 Years (1985-2014) | SPIN
The albums on this list I own, I love. And there are a lot of albums/artists here I've always meant to give more time to. This list would seem like a solid place to start, with a lot of them.
- The New Mad Max Film Is So Feminist My Scrotum Killed Itself
A sublime and perfect piece of writing. Rather like the film, in fact.
- Black Widow, Scarce Resources And High-Stakes Stories : Monkey See : NPR
This is a really good essay on the Black Widow problem in the new Avengers movie. Taken by itself, it's not actually terrible – the metaphors she represents are worth pulling into the light and talking about, and there are reasons why it has to be a female character that has to given them – but the problem is that there simply aren't enough prominent women characters in this kind of movie for us to take them in isolation. And that, I guess, feel like the most nuanced criticism one could level …
- Nasa says EmDrive does work and it may have also created a Star Trek warp drive
Well, OK then. Science fiction ahoy!
- Miss Piggy awarded feminism prize for 40 years of work by Brooklyn Museum – BBC Newsbeat
Entirely correct and appropriate.
- Working with JSON in Swift Tutorial – Ray Wenderlich
Anyone who has not interest in web app development will probably have gone home in disgust at this point. Non-technical links will resume at some point, honest.
- LAFABLE – Large Agile Framework Appropriate for Big, Lumbering Enterprises
Offered entirely without comment.
- Creating a CRUD App in Minutes with Angular’s $resource
I've been noodling with Angluar as a quick web front-end over my REST API for the last week or so, and I've just turned this up, which will substantially cut down my coding time.
I'm going to need OAuth for a Laravel thing I'm building. This will save me much work.
Generator for Laravel controllers and views. Not perfect, but a definite save-on-typing-job.